Thursday, June 8, 2017

From Los Angeles to Pomona and onward to next season...

And that's a wrap!  

"Act Like A Feminist Artist - a Guerrilla Girl Unmasks" 

2016/17 tour made stops from the US to the UK. 

Audiences from New York to Los Angeles to London to Flagstaff, Arizona found out what it's like to be a feminist masked avenger Guerrilla Girl! 


WRAPPING UP IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA 

The 2016/17 tour came to a close in May when I headed to Southern California and had the privilege of speaking to the volunteers at Peace Over Violence in Los Angeles. These are the women and men who answer the LA Rape and Battery Hot Line, lead seminars in ending violence in classrooms and educate via sharing their own personal experiences. It was a very special evening for me to be back where I began my journey - in 1989 I began my training at Peace Over Violence as a volunteer on the Hot Line. You can read about how Patti Giggans of Peace Over Violence was a pivotal influence for me to wind up as an activist artist in UN/MASKED, Memoirs of a Guerrilla Girl On Tour. Thank you Patti and PEACE OVER VIOLENCE!


After Los Angeles I headed east to Cal Poly Pomona for a talk/reading/book signing and a poster making workshop. Feminist energy flowed as the 20 women in the workshop came up with great posters addressing the gentrification of our cities, body image and Trump. 
Cal Poly Pomona Activist/Artists

Here are a few drafts of the Cal Poly Pomona posters




I flew back to New York City just in time for the annual ASJA conference (American Society of Journalists and Authors.) If you write nonfiction, you should check out ASJA. It is an amazing organization with a lot of resources and support for writers. 

 


WHAT'S NEXT?  - "ACT LIKE A FEMINIST ARTIST" will be a part of the Women in Theatre Festival in NYC. For info click here.

NEXT SEASON IS SHAPING UP - Stay tuned - the 2017/2018 Tour will include stops in Florida, Wisconsin, Illinois, New Jersey and Pennsylvania

I'll be back in June with more announcements: Where you can find my new column on art and politics and the very first stop of the 2017/18 season. 


No comments: